What is a Stakeholder?
A stakeholder is anyone with a vested interest in your project. They will be affected by, or be able to affect, your cause.
Your stakeholders are a varied group, with varied interests!
Activity: Make a list of all the individuals, groups, companies, and public institutions who are in any way connected to your mediation project
The Power of Stakeholders : WATCH THE VIDEO
Building on your earlier funding and donor mapping, set out a game plan for engaging and managing the stakeholders in your product, project, or idea with this stakeholder map.
Create a list of stakeholder groups by answering the following questions:
- Who will be impacted by this initiative?
- Who will be responsible or accountable for the initiative?
- Who will have decision authority on the initiative?
- Who can support or obstruct the initiative?
- Who has been involved in an initiative like this before?
Who has the power and interest regarding your initiative?
Exercise – Save & print the image below.
Prioritize the list, one stakeholder at a time on the grid, based on their relative power and interest.
- High power, highly interested people (ENGAGE CLOSELY): Keep these people fully engaged, make an effort to keep them satisfied.
- High power, less interested people (KEEP SATISFIED): Put enough effort in with these people to keep them satisfied, but not so much that they disengage over too much information.
- Low power, highly interested people (KEEP INFORMED): Keep these people adequately informed, communicate with them to ensure that no key issues are emerging. People in this category can be very helpful in supporting you with the details.
- Low power, less interested people (MONITOR): Monitor these people, but don’t disengage them with overly communicating.
List down the stakeholders who belong to each group, then assign a point person, someone who can help you to craft an action plan for them.
Target groups, who will benefit?
- Whose problem is the project solving?
- Describe the TARGET GROUP
- Try to estimate how many, how big is the target group
- Who can you partner with?
- Who has the interest in this project? What is their relationship to the project?
DIRECT + INDIRECT Target Group:
Well done! At this point you have
Wide list of all groups who can influence and are interested in what you do
People who can help you
People you can help